Dear Laura Clark with the Daily Mail,
As we all know, you are successful in your education based journalism, and highly regarded on this subject, however I found your recent article lacking in depth and information. It read as repetitive, thoroughly misinformed, and not representative of our generation as a whole. Coming from a teen in high school, I believe you are quite underestimating our abilities as a generation and in this article, greatly generalizing. Why would most members of this age group use such slang and text speak in formal writing? You're basing an entire age group on interviews with one person (Caroline Jordan of an all girls private school in Oxford) in one country (U.K) and use a total of 3 facts to back up your argument. I do believe it is important for people to proper grammar and that grammar might be taking a backseat in today's society, but this does not mean that not using proper grammar makes a person any less capable in communication. Are you not still able to understand what they are saying? Have you personally come across such a drastic use of slang and text speak in real life, as you used in examples for this article. I for one have never. For these reasons, I believe that this article is misleading and unrepresentative of my generation.
Grace Kahn
Raha International School
Abu Dhabi
Original Article:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587824/Twtr-Its-not-majorly-bad-Leading-headteacher-condemns-text-speak-eroding-schoolchildrens-language-skills.html
As we all know, you are successful in your education based journalism, and highly regarded on this subject, however I found your recent article lacking in depth and information. It read as repetitive, thoroughly misinformed, and not representative of our generation as a whole. Coming from a teen in high school, I believe you are quite underestimating our abilities as a generation and in this article, greatly generalizing. Why would most members of this age group use such slang and text speak in formal writing? You're basing an entire age group on interviews with one person (Caroline Jordan of an all girls private school in Oxford) in one country (U.K) and use a total of 3 facts to back up your argument. I do believe it is important for people to proper grammar and that grammar might be taking a backseat in today's society, but this does not mean that not using proper grammar makes a person any less capable in communication. Are you not still able to understand what they are saying? Have you personally come across such a drastic use of slang and text speak in real life, as you used in examples for this article. I for one have never. For these reasons, I believe that this article is misleading and unrepresentative of my generation.
Grace Kahn
Raha International School
Abu Dhabi
Original Article:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587824/Twtr-Its-not-majorly-bad-Leading-headteacher-condemns-text-speak-eroding-schoolchildrens-language-skills.html
Comments
Post a Comment